top of page
Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston.
SPACE IS LIMITED! This course has sold out the past six years, well in advance of the course date. To be assured a spot in the 2023 program, early registration is strongly recommended.
This program is among the highest-rated Harvard Medical School CME courses.
This course is presented as a live streaming program
Principles of Medical Education: Maximizing Your Teaching Skills will be held online this year, using live streaming, electronic Q&A, and other remote learning technologies.
Dear Principles of Medical Education attendees,
We are excited to welcome you to a large (now over 2500!) and growing international community of educators from all disciplines across healthcare, who have participated in our course over the years. Although slightly different due to the restrictions imposed by the Covid-19 pandemic, we are looking forward to coming together via the power of technology for 3 stimulating days of learning, teaching, community building, and networking. This course will be run on Zoom. Although we are sure you have all become Zoom experts by now, we wanted to share that Zoom works best if you have updated your Zoom client on ALL the devices you might use during this course. Please do that now by following these instructions. Additionally, to maximize your experience in this course, we are asking you to do the following:
1) We are going to take full advantage of the power of remote learning to bring in your voices from across the world for 3 days of active learning. You will meet and interact with people from all over the globe and have an opportunity to share your insights and learn different perspectives on medical education challenges in 2023 and beyond. In an effort to build community and foster networking, we would like you to get to know all of US and we want to get to know YOU! We have recorded 30-second video introductions and we would like you to do the same. It is fun and easy (requires only a couple of clicks from any device).
Please click on this LINK to record a 30-second introduction – What is your name? (Please speak slowly so everyone can hear how to pronounce your name correctly,) Where are you joining us from? How do you spend your time as an educator? Thank you for doing this – you will all have access to these throughout the course.
2) Please follow us on Twitter, @BIDMC_Education, to see live tweets throughout the course and participate in the discussion. We will be posting papers and resources and relevant points from each talk throughout the course with hashtag #HMSMedEd23. We want to hear from you! If you are new to Twitter and need help setting up your account check out this video we have created just for you: Twitter 101 – Dr. Shreya Trivedi
3) We have created a collection of most of the articles referenced in the course through the free app called Read by QxMD. This app can be downloaded on both the iOS app store and Android / Google Play store. This app does require that you have a university-affiliated library login. The steps to get this app up and running can be found here: https://readbyqxmd.com/ and our curated article pdf's can be accessed by choosing to "Follow" the collection of articles entitled "Principles of Medical Education."
4) We have also created some high yield videos in addition to Twitter 101 referenced above that are meant to complement the material in the course. You will have access to these throughout the course and we encourage all to watch them.
To summarize, this is going to be an interactive, multi-format course! Your initial charge is to participate by doing the following items:
Download latest version of zoom
Record your bio (link)
Follow us on Twitter @BIDMC_Education (#HMSMedEd23)
Download Read by QxMD app https://readbyqxmd.com/
Log into www.principlesofmeded.com (using the provided password). This is where you will find everything you need for the course including the current agenda, zoom link, videos, and syllabus materials.
Watch the tangible take home videos (links above)
We look forward to teaching and learning together over 3 action-packed days! The course will begin promptly at 8:00am (Eastern) on Wednesday, March 29th at http://www.principlesofmeded.com.
Please reach out to us if you have any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
See you soon,
Slides & Videos will remain online until Friday, July 10, 2023
Harvard Medical School Continuing Education Office will email you a link to complete the evaluation and obtain your certificate.
For questions, call:
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Identify principles of adult learning in order to:
Assess their learners’ needs
Design an educational intervention
Establish student-centered learning environments
2. Employ venue-specific teaching skills for:
Small group/case-based teaching
3. Recognize effective learner assessment strategies and provide effective feedback in order to set educational expectations
4. Foster critical thinking skills so learners may effectively use questions to promote clinical decision making
5. Engage in reflective practice in order to identify effective teaching techniques
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Medical personnel of all specialties involved in the practice of medical education, including:
OPTIMIZED FOR REMOTE LEARNING
The 2022 program has been enhanced for distance learning. In addition to being live streamed, all sessions will be recorded and made available to participants for online viewing for 30 days after the end of the course.
bottom of page